Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Bump in the Road

Sometimes a bump in the road seems like more of a huge mountain. I'm not sure how to make the bump seem more like an anthill and less like Mt. Everest. (I think the answer is time. But since I can't control time, I don't like that answer.) 

After the harvest surgery, we've had a complication. I have severe OHSS, or Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome. We were told there was about a 1-3% chance this could happen before the process began, but of course we never dreamed it would happen to us. While I was being monitored during the stimulation shots, the doctor said my risk of OHSS increased some based on so many eggs forming in the ovaries. (Which we thought was a good thing!) I got on some additional medicine to help alleviate the risk of OHSS. We thought we were good to go.

After the surgery on Monday, I was in pain but the nurses said it was normal. As the days progressed, so did my pain. Vomiting, extended stomach, and not being able to sit-up or walk alone continued to get worse and worse. Today (Wednesday), we went back for an ultrasound and was told I have severe OHSS, which requires surgery. (This is what happened to Giuliana Rancic, for any E! watchers out there.) I check-in tomorrow for my meeting with the anesthesiologist at 8:30am, and then surgery will follow immediately after. 

OHSS is when pockets of fluid form around the organs. In simple terms, the ovaries were so enlarged that after the eggs were removed, they didn't want deflate so they started pulling fluid from the intestinal system. This causes fluid pockets to form around the intestines. This can be very dangerous to your organs, so it requires immediate surgery to remove the fluid if it reaches the "severe" stage. 

This new little "bump" has caused us to be pretty down, to say the least. Luckily we have amazing friends and family who have lifted us up with jokes, prayers, dinners, and trashy magazines. A "thank-you" to those who allow us to lean on them during these harder moments will never be enough. 

We will keep you updated on what comes next. This blog update seems to take 1-2 days to send out, so it's possible I'm home already and feel like Mt. Everest is in our rearview mirror! 

Love,
Kendall and Will



No comments:

Post a Comment