Sunday, November 24, 2013

we're normal!

Turns out... we're normal! Despite my parents questioning my normalcy for years, science gives us both two thumbs up.

This past month has been full of getting the "tests" out of the way as we prepare for next month. We took a blood test that would sequence our DNA and look closely at our chromosomes. There can be 'chromosomal switching' that would allow us to still appear to be normal, but when passing it down to the embryo, could cause miscarriage repeatedly. It would be impossible to fix.

When we met with the genetic counselor, she explained everything I wish I remembered from Sophomore High School Biology. The blood test showed that all of our chromosomes are exactly how they should be. This is also good news because it increases your likelihood for a successful IVF by a few percentage points. This gave us the green light to continue.

So what's the timeline and game plan? Got me.  We're kinda like the Texans over here; we think we know what's happening, but when it's time to answer questions or execute, it's obvious we have no idea what we're doing.  We're trying to listen to everything the doctors tell us, but there are so many "if this, then this" situations, that it's very difficult to follow.  (Kubiak seems to be having the same problem.) 

Our IVF process will begin the first week of December. The schedule will constantly be in flux; I'm monitored the entire time I'm taking the shots/medicines, so nothing will ever be 100% set in stone.  Generally though, pills and shots will happen in December/January, with the egg harvest in mid January. After embryonic genetic testing results (assuming results are positive), I would have the embryo transfer end of Feb/Mid March. I'll explain more of what that all means later. (Note: when I know more of what it means.)

Will and I have been completely humbled by the outpouring of love from so many of you. We even started a little book of the sweet cards we've received to be able to show our child, however we get one someday, "Look at how many people knew you were a pain before you even got here!" (I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Sorta.)

Thank you for all your support through texts, calls, emails, hugs, and encouraging words. Many of you have asked Will or myself "So, how are you doing?" My only answer is "Depends on the time of the day."  We left the doctor on Friday and Will pointed out it was the first time we left without crying. We are beginning to feel encouraged, and even a little excited. However, I have this constant pit in my stomach similar to when you're on a roller coaster and you start ticking straight up. You haven't even done anything yet, but you know you're about to fall and all of the sudden you want to say "ok, never mind. I don't want to do this anymore." I feel a lot like that. (I also know half the time the roller coaster ends with me vomiting, wishing I never did it, and half the time I want to go again. I'm anxious since I don't know how this roller coaster will end.)

Every year we go around our table at Thanksgiving and say what we're thankful for. This year, I know Will and I are thankful for all of your support.  I also am thankful to be in this position, when so many women have gone in to my same doctor and have been told there are no options for them to conceive through any avenue. I'm thankful I have a husband who declined going to the National Championship for FSU (knock on wood they're going), because he doesn't want me to leave me when I'm doing shots. I'm thankful to have a family who says things like "Kendall, when you have kids..." rather than "if you have kids." I'm thankful this is just a fertility issue, and not a life-threatening issue. I'm thankful I have the resources to be able to do this without having to remortgage our house or get a second job. I am thankful.  (I try to remember this on the days when I just want to get off the roller coaster.)

We'll update more specifics later, but had to share the good news that while my husband may not always portray it, we are, in fact, normal!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,
Kendall and Will




2 comments:

  1. Sweet dear Kendall...have I told you lately that I love you? You're in my heart at all times. Miracles are already happening!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both stay in my prayers....and I am so proud that Will is such a good husband....but not surprised. He is blessed to have you.
    Lynn Lloyd

    ReplyDelete